Wednesday, June 16, 2010

An Uncompromised Life


I can't even pretend to be an eloquent person especially in the morning. My actual thoughts don't start to form solidly until around two in the afternoon. In this case I will make an attempt no matter how feeble to speak about someone that I a mere mortal such as I can hardly begin to fathom; That super nova being English magazine editor and international style icon Isabella Blow.

I admit that there was a time not long before now that I didn't really know that much about her other than from seeing pictures of her in some fabulous hat here and there or getting some bit of news about her from the Daily Mail or style.com about what she wore to some event or what fashion phenom was her latest discovery. However, the news about her death was hard to ignore. The reports about how she died and the tributes paid to her after her passing have left an indelible mark on my soul and will stay with me, I'm sure for the rest of my life. It's hard for me to understand why someone so brave, brilliant, gifted, known and loved could take her life so tragically because she was everything that I wish, I could be and she seemed to have everything that I thought I ever wanted.

There are several stories circulating about why she may have done it--The top two being that she had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer the other being that she was depressed but both seem to be somehow intertwined. Well who really knows for sure other than her family, close friends and Ms. Blow herself. Besides when it comes down to it; It really is a private matter.

Yesterday, I stumbled upon a beautiful picture of Isabella Blow taken by the incomparable Steven Meisel on a popular fashion blog where her haircut was being compared in a side by side to that of Jim Carry's character in the movie Dumb and Dumber. Yes, it was meant to be funny and I'm sure was thought of at the time from the Blog Master's perspective as harmless. I saw the point that was being made and I'm sure it was[funny] to more than a few but not to me.

It isn't my place to judge what others say or do on their blogs especially when theirs are way more popular than mine. (Hello audience of one-- With the sole reader being myself! ) But I do think that we as human beings should have more reverence for the dead especially when a life ends as tragically and as beautifully as Isabella Blow's did. Its sad to think that upon dying she may have worried than she "hadn't taken enough poison."

No comments: